How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, June 26, 2006

Missing the wood from the trees

I was invited to a grandniece’s (nephew’s daughter) birthday barbeque party last Saturday evening. I was already in KL because of an ex-classmate’s visit. He is from Australia.

He left early for golf and I noticed he left behind his camera. Called and messaged him but got no response. A friend suggested that I should take it with me instead of leaving it in the hotel room in case it went missing.

As it was my first time visiting my nephew’s new house, I went early. I tried using my videocam and managed to capture a few clips. The birthday girl’s mum had been busy the whole day and could hardly smile. Later, I was to discover that even the other child was left with the childminder! How are the parents going to explain to the child later that she was not present even at her sister’s party?

My nephew expected 50 guests but I estimated the food was enough to feed 100! When we started eating the barbequed chicken wings, I thought of our mongrel dogs in BG. If only it was convenient to save the leftovers for them but I was staying in a hotel so I had to forget it.

The party was well organized in terms of the variety of food and free-flowing beer and wines. After everyone had his fill, it was time to bring out the birthday cake with a nice drawing of Chicken Little on it. It was only then that they realized they did not have a camera ready to capture the scene! I tried using my videocam but it was too dark without a proper flash. Then I remembered by friend’s camera in my pocket! There were a number of handphones with camera capability but considered not good enough. I was most amused by the coincidence: how I decided to take along the camera and ended being the only one with a camera!

Before my friend had left for Australia, he had promised to transfer the images into his computer and burn a cd to be sent to me. Actually I expect him to send the pictures via email so that I can forward to my nephew.

This was not the first time I had come across parents who have forgotten about camera or film or even candles when celebrating a birthday.

No comments: