How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I'm back... but lost my handphone

Always a pessimist, my trip to UK turned out to be much better than expected (details later), and each step of the way back - from the journey to Heathrow airport, plane on schedule, successful liftoff, trouble-free flying, easy bowel movements, successful landing at Bangkok airport, then transfer to another Thai airway flight back to KLIA, landing and clearing at customs, seemed like a hurdle to be crossed.

All that was over without a hitch! Too good to be true! Wait a minute, I could not find my phone... The last time I used it was while waiting for missus outside the duty free shop in KLIA, sending a message to Nee, then realised it was probably 5am British time!

After we have collected the luggage bags, I could not wait to go to the loo. I left my waist pouch on top of the tissue container and I reminded myself not to forget as the passports were in there. Somehow, I believe the auto flushing and its noise could have covered the noise of my dropping my phone in its pouch clipped to my belt.

I managed to get in to check, after convincing the policeman with my boarding pass and I even told the customs men and one of them even tried using his own phone to call my number and as it turned out, "cannot be reached" means someone had found it and taken the simcard out which is standard procedure to avoid being traced.

It is really upsetting, after having gone through smoothly for the whole of 3 weeks. What I am going to miss most are the numbers in the memory which I cannot recall or do not have a record. I have given out a few personalised stickers with the phone number on, to some foreigners and hopefully, they are not likely to call anyway.

I planned it so well, telling my wife to leave hers behind, even making sure that I have enough credit and at least a day or two access time for my use once I touched base in Malaysia. Just imagine, in this day and age, I had to call my sister-in-law to make sure someone is in before I take a cab, using a public phone! The irony was I had another phone with me, from my nephew to his son, but it was barred and had to be unbarred before use.

Like always, to make me feel better, I like to think that it could have been worse!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aiyoh...no wonder la, texted you at about 7pm(Malaysian time) but no answer. good to hear both of you arrived safely ;)