How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Animal farm

Anonymous commented “ I was looking over your blog and didn't quite find what I was looking for…” and my immediate reaction was, “what do you expect from a site with “Kosong” for a name? Unless, he is a non-Malaysian.

My daughters call me a cat whisperer because wherever I go for a meal in coffeeshops, stray cats would come near me and nudge my legs. Whether, born in the year of the Tiger had anything to do with it, makes me wonder.

The two kittens, which we have now, were initially defensive as expected, out of fear more than anything else, being in a strange place with hostile dogs.

One is bigger than the other and eats faster too. It was a good idea that there are two of them as they sleep, one on top of the other. The smaller one had one hind leg bitten by our dog, Brook, at the factory, and hops along with one hind leg lifted up! The poor thing has only a little bob for a tail and it looks more like a rabbit from behind.

Patience was what I needed and I was rewarded when this injured kitten allowed me to touch while I offered milk. The other one is still apprehensive but I am confident I can easily win over the other as it came for the milk in my presence. In fact, I gave them small fishes and they ate with relish, very naturally.

The other important hurdle was the acceptance by our dogs. Instead of being hostile, at least, Sam now leaves them alone while they hide in a corner under some shoe cabinets. Here is a little tale on animals which seems familiar.

Once upon a time there was a little red hen who scratched about the barnyard until she uncovered some grains of wheat. She called her neighbors and said, "If we plant this wheat, we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?"

"Not I," said the cow."Not I," said the duck."Not I," said the pig."Not I," said the goose. "Then I will," said the little hen, and she did.

The wheat grew tall and ripened into golden grain. "Who will help me reap my wheat?" asked the little hen.

"Not I," said the duck."That's out of my classification," said the pig."I'd lose my seniority," said the cow."I'd lose my unemployment compensation," said the goose. "Then I will," said the little hen, and she did.

At last, it came time to bake the bread. "Who will help me bake the bread?" asked the little hen. "That would be overtime for me," said the cow."I'd lose my welfare benefits," said the duck."If I'm to be the only helper, that would be discrimination," said the goose."It's hard work," said the pig. "Then I will," said the little hen.

She baked five loaves and held them up for her neighbors to see. They all wanted some. In fact, they demanded a share. But the little hen said, "No, I can eat the five loaves myself."

"Excess profits!" yelled the cow."Capitalist leech!" cried the duck."I demand equal rights!" shouted the goose.The pig just grunted. Then the others hurriedly painted picket signs and marched around, shouting obscenities.

The government agent came and said to the little hen, "You must not be greedy."

"But I earned the bread," said the little hen.

"Exactly," said the agent. "That is the wonderful free enterprise system. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants. But, under government regulations, the productive workers must divide their product with the idle."

They all lived happily ever after.

But the little red hen's neighbours wondered why she never again baked bread.

No comments: