How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, November 09, 2007

Where there's a will, there's a way...

Flashback to summer of 2004...

Mexico, here I come!

I have booked my flight ticket to Mexico online, here are the details...

Outbound: Fri. 25 June 04, 1 stop(s) Trip duration:13h40
--------------------------------------------------------
Dep 10:15 Fri Terminal 2, Heathrow (LHR), London, United Kingdom Arr 12:25 Fri Terminal 2F, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris, France Non-stopAir France (AF 1271) Airplane type - 319

Connection
-----------
12:25 Fri - 13:15 Fri Change plane and terminal From Terminal 2F, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris to Terminal 2E, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris Stop-over duration: 0h50

Dep 13:15 Fri Terminal 2E, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris, France Arr 17:55 Fri Juarez Int'l (MEX), Mexico City, Mexico Non-stop Air France (AF 438) Airplane type - 744
Inbound: Wed. 22 September 04, 1 stop(s) Trip duration: 12h40
-------------------------------------------------------------

Dep 20:30 Wed Juarez Int'l (MEX), Mexico City, Mexico Arr 14:00 Thu Terminal 2E, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris, France Non-stopAir France (AF 439) Airplane type - 744

Connection
-----------
14:00 Thu - 15:00 ThuChange plane and terminal From Terminal 2E, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris to Terminal 2F, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris Stop-over duration: 1h00

Dep 15:00 Thu Terminal 2F, Charles De Gaulle (CDG), Paris, France Arr 15:10 Thu Terminal 2, Heathrow (LHR), London, United Kingdom Non-stopAir France (AF 1870) Airplane type - 320

I shifted my departure dates (both outbound and inbound since my tourist permit will only allow a maximum of 90 days and I am trying to make the mostout of it!) to a few days earlier than planned when I found out that I could save up to £50 (from £512.30 to £462.30). It's quite a good bargain (the ticket price was actually below £400 but airport taxes are hefty) since if I were to book one after the 30th of June (July to October is the peak travel season), airtickets would range from £600 onwards... haha, almost the price for a ticket to Malaysia, no?? =.)

Domestic air travel within Mexico is extremely expensive (around £200 from Mexico City to another major city) so the initial plan now is for me to board on the next bus and head for Elizabeth's friend's place in another city nearer to Mexico City, Puebla.Elizabeth's old university is in that city too, I might get the chance to hang around since her friend's sister is still studying there. Basically, I will be under the 'care' of her friend's family first since both Elizabeth and her siblings are not in her city.

After a month or so, I should be in Oaxaca (pronounced as "Wahaka" for some unexplained reasons)... supposed to be a major tourist site, you can check out the website : http://www.oaxaca.gob.mx/ By then, Elizabeth's sister who is coming over to Essex in a few weeks' time, should be back in Oaxaca. Elizabeth herself is due to come back sometime September, hopefully a week or two before I leave Mexico.

Good news! I've spoken to my Spanish teacher about the possibility of me skipping Elementary Spanish next academic year to the next level, Intermediate after my Mexico trip. She was very encouraging (I suppose Elementary Spanish isn't that difficult huh?) and she is going to give me a list of what to cover in my Spanish in order to do Intermediate. I won't need any formal qualifications (meaning I won't need to attend a proper school or sit for an exam in Mexico, yay!)but I'll probably need to undergo a short assessment (written and oral) when course starts in October...sounds really cool especially since doing a language course in the university as an extra subject costs £400 a year! Not that I planned to, but if I can do Intermediate Spanish in my second year, I will have the option of doing the next level of Spanish OR do a Politics or International Relations option in my final year instead. The list of courses for my third year is extensive, especially since some courses are also available for postgraduate MA students.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth is trying to look for various job/voluntary options for me in Mexico to make the most out of my stay there... I might decide on attending some formal classes, say 2 hours a week, if it isn't too expensive. Anyway, I will bring the Elementary Spanish workbook along and work things out once I am there.

When I am finally done with my exams, I will have to make a trip to the Mexican Embassy in London. As a Malaysian passport holder, I won't need a tourist visa if I stay not more than 90 days but I will still need a tourist permit. It's a bit tricky, according to the website, http://www.mexicanconsulate.org.uk/ I will need an orginal return air ticket which I don't have since I've booked it online (called the tech-savye-ticket). Anyway, I've written an e-mail to the Embassy enquiring on this. Also, I'll need to show letters of proof of financial means (btw, do I have my birth certificate with me? I might need it to prove that I am your daughter who is still financially-dependent *wink*) *sigh* The boring red-tape bit... *fingers-crossed* I can get all the necessary documents and I will be able to obtain my permit within the promised two days (and save myself another London trip!).

I'll probably need a travel insurance too huh? How much does my Prudential insurance cover me?? It'squite costly for three months although there are cheaper 'backpacker' ones. Plus, is the ringgit's exchange with the Mexican peso favourable? Should I convert the sterling here into peso or...?? I hope the pound is still doing strong in the forex market... ;)

Speaking of money, I have started working in theStudent Union's cafe. But because I am new, I won't get regular shifts and would have to look-out for emergency empty shifts, basically 'covering' for the senior staff who are doing their final exams. Wonder if I could get a temporary job (for a week or two)after my exams?? Erm, that will depend on when K-Ma actually arrives London...

ANYWAY, enough about Mexico and money... I am going to leave that aside and focus on my exams, first one is on Thursday. Should be *okay* since I have been quite consistent through the year, although I am still a bit worried with my International Relations. Didn't do very well for my IR essays, but I still have two weeks to work on it *fingers-crossed*!

Oooh, just received an e-mail from the Mexican Embassy saying that they accept electronic tickets! Better print mine out before I forget....That's about it for now...

I am running to the library to renew a short loan book (it's for four hours but if you borrow it after 6pm, you can have it the whole night and return it the next day before 10am), I'll write again soon!

cheng~*

(takes after her mother, the nomad)

No comments: