How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Living in different times...

Just like the oppositionists, I always feel that we, ie. those in our fifties, are born losers.

When we were teenagers, we had to listen to our parents. Now that we are parents, we have to listen to our children.

I still remember when we had our school holidays, one of the jobs to do was to repaint the house and through trial and error, we became quite good at it.

So, five years ago, when my son’s house was being rebuilt, I offered to paint the whole single-storey house. So good was I (including joining the workers for lunches and tea breaks) that I was actually thrilled when one of the contractor’s workers who came occasionally to deliver materials and to clear debris, asked if I was originally a painter!

Well, we have to move with the times and I am not really complaining as he is now earning GBP and taking courses to complete a Master’s programme while working a 37-hour week, much to the envy of his friends and relations in Malaysia, especially the short working hours! Obviously I wouldn’t want him to paint our house just to follow tradition!

When I was abroad for a number of years, my vacations back in Malaysia meant being with my parents most of the time, until when I finally came back for good, my dad already had a stroke and he wasn’t able to communicate with me. Again, this was something to be expected, sooner or later.

Cheng will be back for a few weeks in June/July and her Polish friend will be joining her for 3 weeks which would include going to Vietnam and Sabah and he was worried about taking her time from us! Well, just to get him mentally prepared, I wish to share this joke being passed around in the net:

A Polish man moved to the USA and married an American girl. Although his English was far from perfect, they got along very well until one day he rushed into a lawyer's office and asked him if he could arrange a divorce for him.

The lawyer said that getting a divorce would depend on the circumstances, and asked him the following questions:

Lawyer: Have you any grounds?

Polish man: Yes, an acre and half and nice little home.

L.: No. I mean, what is the foundation of this case?

Pm.: It made of concrete.

L. : I don't think you understand. Does either of you have a real grudge? (garage)

Pm.: No, we have carport, and not need one.

L. : I mean, what are your relations like?

Pm.: All my relations still in Poland.

L. : Is there any infidelity in your marriage?

Pm.: We have hi-fidelity and good DVD player.

L. : Does your wife beat you up?

Pm.: No, I always up before her.

L. : Is your wife a nagger?

Pm.: No, she white.

L. : Why do you want this divorce?

Pm.: She going to kill me!

L. :What makes you think that?

Pm.: I got proof.

L. : What kind of proof?

Pm.: She going to poison me. She buy a bottle at drugstore and put on shelf in bathroom. I can read, and it say: "Polish Remover ".

No comments: