How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, June 16, 2008

Blogging: If I can do it, everyone can

I started with just writing what I feel like writing, much like a diary, though a digital one.

It took me a long while before I could upload pictures, following Cheng’s step-by-step guide (for dummies).

Then I decided to have a picture to go with the blog, sent by a friend, BH which I had kept in memory earlier.

I have always wanted to do hyperlink but no one had the time and patience to show me.

I was glad, I followed TV Smith’s guide on ‘how to add Mycen news to your blog’ with success. This encouraged me to add favourite links as the steps are quite similar. I find including hyperlinks in writing very clumsy as I have yet to know the tricks to an easier way.

A local young civil servant teased me why I did not have a hits counter. I replied that I tried but could not decide on a suitable starting figure. I got the Free Counter from Patrick Teoh's Niamah!!! I decided to start at 5,000, by assuming that I had an average of 5 hits per day for 1,000 days. Well, judging from the figures so far, my estimate was not too presumptuous. What I would not know were when my blog was mentioned in ‘Malaysiakini in blogs’, a number of times before, what difference it made, as some bloggers claimed a marked increase in hits recorded.

Now, I have included some quotable quotes too! Once started, blogging has to be maintained, otherwise it would be without visitors except myself!

For some funny reference, I took the liberty to include the following:

Excerpts from
BLOGGING FOR DUNGUS
by TV Smith
17/10/04

What is a blog?
The word blog is coined from weblog (web log). A blog is a journal, diary, commentary or opinion series that is published online. The content is usually presented in a chronological order and is archived. The entries may be frequent or intermittent, the topics irreverent or topical. There are no hard and fast rules for the bloggers (blog keepers) or their visitors (readers).

What is satire?
If you don't know what it is even if it bites you in the ass, just call it a "joke".

What if I have no readers?
There should be at least one reader, unless you don't read your own postings.

Are blogs and websites the same thing?
A blog is a website but a website is not necessarily a blog.

Are bloggers journalists?
Bloggers are not journalists but some journalists are bloggers.

Can we trust blogs?
Yes. Blogs are as trustworthy as our journalists and politicians.

Can I really stay anonymous?
You can post from a internet café but the originating IP can still be traced. I was told that some sneaky geeky cyber cafes track their customers with stealth keystroke recording software, or have hidden cameras. If you are paranoid, go to a typical noisy, smoky Jinjangish "internet café" where the disinterested operator is happily gaming along with the faceless customers.

Can I get into trouble blogging?
It depends on what you write. You may be held under the ISA, charged with sedition, sued for defamation, copyright infringement or get sacked for badmouthing your boss.

What is a permalink?
Since blogs are usually presented in a chronological order, a permanent link allows you to hyperlink or bookmark a specific entry. The permalink for this posting is http://www.tvsmith.net.my/duasen/171004_blogging.html

What is blogrolling?
In a generic sense, it is a collection of links to other blogs the blogger reads or recommends.

I find Salvatore_Dali’s comments and advice useful too:

I think out of every 100 new blogs started, only 10 will be around after 6 months. Most just die a natural death from it being a chore or from infrequent updates. It’s very close to the closure rates for new restaurants.

I have to always refresh my LINKS as I will need to delete those blogs that have "passed away". If you blog for social reasons, its different, because your audience is already limited. If you blog on a subject matter such as politics, technology or business - your audience is enlarged, and you have something worthwhile to say, at least most of the time.

Below are some useful advice for aspiring bloggers:

a) You should have frequent updates. Weekly is the bare minimum. Even then, it is usually insufficient to attract most readers. I would suggest at least twice to three times a week. Daily would be the best.

b) Should you use your real name or a nick. Depends on the subject matter. Some people think there is less sincerity and bravado if you use a nick. It all depends on your current situation. Maybe your job is sensitive, and the blog may compromise your career. Hence no hard and fast rules. The other side of the coin is that some will say using your own name is self-promotional. You cannot win over everybody. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

c) Can you be rude, sarcastic, vulgar, etc.? that's the beauty of blogging. It’s your blog. If you are rude, sarcastic and vulgar for no good reason, people will be turned off - soon you will blog to empty internet space. It’s not an English test paper presentation, it’s your blog. But it should be clear, concise and have points to make. Rude words, sarcasm or vulgar words should be for clarity and emphasis. They should be able to carry the mood and your character. You cannot please everyone.

d) It’s your blog. You cannot aim to please everyone cause then you will be writing for the lowest common denominator. The blog must please your own self first. There will always be critics. There will always be people who criticise your style of writing and your views. Answer them as best you can. Ignore them if you want. It’s your blog.

e) For a blog to make sense for you, it has to mean something to you. You must have something to share. You hope that something has value in it. You have to have an almost altruistic bent as you will probably get zero returns. It is a good mechanism to voice your views, and indirectly release some stress. It’s probably the next best thing to writing and publishing a book. Everybody wants to have a book published for egotistical reasons - a good blog goes a long way to satisfy that "desire", I guess.

f) Your character should come through your blog. I know most readers think I am curt in most of my replies, or impatient with silly questions - still am, but that's who you are. No need to paint a superhero alter-ego.

No comments: