How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, June 16, 2008

Coping with Friday 13 and Murphy's Law

Well, there is always the first time for most things. I made a mistake of referring to Cheng’s original flight schedule and with poor memory, did not realise it until SP checked with MAS counters and offices and even police (to try to get security pass to check with immigration) within KLIA – any lead she could think of, and found out (to my horror) we were 1 day early!

I would normally allow 3 hours to travel between BG and KLIA even though one can reach within 2 and a half. We actually set off at 5.05am and the arrival time was 6.05am and even with an hour allowance for the short ride, baggage collection, immigration and customs clearance, we would not make it in time to greet her. Before we set off, I texted her ‘we r late, if on schedule pls wait near pick up point’. We actually reached KLIA at 7.25am and SP got off while I drove to the car park.

At level 2, next to the car park, I checked ‘Arrivals’ list which was constantly changed to show all available information. Yet, there was none for MH 17 from Amsterdam. By the time I got to the arrival hall, SP said the same and that she had checked with the information desk that the plane had landed at 6.48am. With this information, we just waited, looking out for any girl that looked like her, in anticipation. Minutes turned to hour and SP double-checked with info desk and a lady even confirmed that the last bag was collected at 7.10am!

After 2 hours of waiting, with increasing worries, I remained where I was while SP went to check for further information at level 5. Twenty minutes later, she called for me to go to level 5 to explain that I have got the date wrong. I was more upset because I just could not recall how I got it wrong. Then, vaguely, I remembered Cheng changed the date because she had to accommodate a visiting Professor’s schedule. When we called Cheng on her handphone, it was on voice message but looking back, since she was not travelling, it was between 2 to 3 am, and she was asleep. Later, I texted her again to explain the calls were because of the wrong date. She felt a bit responsible for our ‘ordeal’ and kept us informed of her flight, which happened to be delayed by 3 hours!

The evening of Friday 13, we were at Amcorp Mall again because SP had some unfinished business with the Burmese couple trading in crystals and jades. At the basement carpark nearing closing time at 10pm, I discovered a flat tyre! Even with my experience in changing tyre, it was not easy with Xtrail’s. I even had difficulty putting the tyre in position because of my poor eyesight and poor lighting. Well, managed to changed the tyre and was glad it had enough air pressure.

At the house, past 1 am, SP’s nephew opened the autogate and the malfunctioned sensor sent the gate off its rail! Another problem to sort out and we had to be at KLIA the next morning. We took out the punctured tyre as it was too early for repair. I told SP that I hope I do not need the service of AAM as my membership expired on May 31! Actually, my cheque was posted on June 8 (date of receipt of reminder), after an attempt to pay by Maybank2u failed because the TAG expired after 1 hour(?) and I was thinking it was valid for 24 hours! I did ask if I could inform AAM first while the cheque is on its way and the girl said only if I paid by credit card over the phone, which I refused. I had registered my old handphone number with M2U and I remembered (vaguely) having problem changing it once before.

No comments: