How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Santa Claus is coming to town...

It is the time of the year when we start hearing Christmas carols and jingles at shopping complexes. The amount of money and time spent to decorate the shops, and hopefully attract actual shoppers willing to part with their money, must be huge. Though the Christian population in Malaysia is considered relatively small, the transformation at this time of the year seems disproportionate to their number. It had attracted some criticisms before, from Muslims who complained that not enough decorations were in place in the same complexes during their festive seasons.

One reason for the willingness to spend on such decorations could be the hype and commercialization, which had attracted some who are not Christians but would not mind having a lighted Christmas tree and presents to decorate their homes. To the retailers, these are the prospective customers whom they are trying to influence. If Valentine’s Day, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, Teachers’ Day, and so on, could bring in the bucks, why not?

Spotted a cartoon with the following:
Sitting under a sign, ‘Gift Ideas’, the man replied to a customer’s query, ‘Sorry, pal, you’re too late. I’m completely out of ideas.’
And another cartoon with the following:
A Mall Directory signboard showing ‘You’re here X’ ‘now…where’s your Christmas spirit?’

Anyway, someone has a different perspective of our conventional idea of shopping:

Shopping for Love

I am flat broke from overspending at Christmas time. But I need to go shopping again soon because I am completely out of self-respect. I've said things I wish I could take back and I am not feeling too good about myself.

I also want to exchange a carton of self-righteousness for an equal amount of humility. I hear that it is less expensive and wears well, and while I'm at it I'm going to check on tolerance and see if there is any available in my size.

I must remember to try to match my patience with the little I have left. My neighbour is loaded with it and it looks awfully good on her. I was told the same department has a repair shop for mending integrity. Mine has become frayed around the edges from too much compromising. If I don't get it refurbished soon, there won't be any left.

I almost forgot the most important thing of all -- compassion. If I see some-no matter what the color, size or shape -- I'm going to stock up heavily regardless of the price. I have run out of it so many times and I always feel ashamed when it happens.

I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to shopping for these items. They don't cost nearly as much as some of the frivolous things I bought at Christmas time.
And I'll get a lot more satisfaction from them.

Yes, I'm going shopping today and I can leave my checkbook and credit cards at home! The things I'm looking for have no price-tags. What a joy!



No comments: