How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My sister's Golden Anniversary


(The picture which I intend to give her for the occasion)

I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts that my third sister and her husband will be celebrating their Golden Wedding Anniversary. I wonder how many who have read it, noticed 'at the age of 66'!

She got married at 16 which required my father's approval then. Her husband is older by a couple of years and both of them left school to start out, without any proper jobs. I can still remember my father provided the cars for the occasion too.

Looking back, they had been through trials and tribulations right from the beginning, even when courting. My mother was naturally concerned and suspicious over this boy scout who visited often and chatted for hours. She made her displeasure known by throwing away gifts of cactus and so on. My third brother even punctured his bicycle tyres! Even a change of venue to a friend's house did not stop the interference.

Fast forward more than 50 years and we can see a couple who seem to be arguing over everything. Actually, my brother-in-law is very witty and can comment on anything one says in criticism or with sarcasm which when taken lightly, can be really funny. One good example was when my fifth brother asked, 'lei ng hai chou choong ke meh?' (you were a watch/clock repairer, weren't you?) during a discussion on problems with clocks. He immediately replied, 'kau pai ngo chou choong, yee kah ngo chou karn keh!' (previously, I was straight, now I am a crook!). 'Choong' in Cantonese can mean clock or being honest and he played on the word.

Some forty years ago, my brother-in-law got a gold medal in connection with orchid cultivation, though I am not sure exactly the details. He used to cross-pollinate orchids and many people got the credit for his work. My sister is more business minded and able to complement him. She is quite artistic too and her prizes in floral arrangements were proof of her ability.

Just the other day, in the car, I was discussing with my daughter and her best friend on the qualities of a successful business person. While we were on those big timers, the essential points remain relevant. First of all, the person must be ambitious or wish to be successful. He or she must take risks, and must also be really lucky. I gave an example of an illiterate businesswoman who relied on educated friend or relative to purchase land, for instance. If she happened to be cheated at her first and second attempts, she is likely to give up. But, with good guidance, her habit of buying properties when she could afford at a time when land was really cheap, saw the value multiplied, in some cases, even a thousand times!

Just got a call from her, and she sounded so excited and looking forward to the occasion. But I cannot say her husband shares the same enthusiasm because of what he said when she suggested the celebration, and I quote, “Toh si” (busybody)!

No comments: