How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, September 07, 2009

Please do not speed on the highways

I averted two near major accidents because I did not speed.

After the minor ‘wing mirror’ accident, on Thursday night, I nearly crashed into a dark, tall and long trailer which was doing a big U-turn slowly in front of the open space of the quarry just before the junction to Menglembu on the Ipoh-Lumut highway. I was on my way to Ipoh from Batu Gajah.

Just imagine seeing these two headlights from far and just twenty feet away, I saw the side of the trailer which occupied the whole of the road as well as the open space in front of the quarry! Had I been speeding, I could have smashed right into it and ended up as a statistic in a road accident.

Last night, after fetching Cheng from KLIA and had dinner with a sister-in-law and her husband, we headed for home.

Before the journey, my SIL joked that the two ‘pigs’ (born in the year) are of no help to you because they would be sleeping all the way. I was prepared to drive myself all the way but, age is catching up, and before Tapah, I felt sleepy. I decided to stop for a drink alone. I had tea, which costed Rm1.30. In retrospect, this break saved myself from a lot of trouble and possibly grief.

After getting off the North-South Expressway at Gopeng exit, (pleasantly surprised at the 10% discount after midnight), we continued on the federal old route until the junction to BG. This road leading to BG had been widened and improved fairly recently. But only certain stretches are lit, alternating with those unlit. As I was driving along the unlit stretch, just a few feet away, suddenly I saw a herd of buffaloes right in front! I quickly applied emergency brakes but had to swerve instead to avoid and the car turned right heading to the high kerb of the divider of the dual carriageway. Because of the sudden jerks, the car bounced from side to side and had woken my two passengers. SP screamed, ‘KS?!’ By then I managed to stop the car from smashing into the divider and turned it back on track. Another close shave and I am beginning to wonder if this had anything to do with the 714 superstitions believed by some Chinese. Again, I am saved by the fact that I did not speed. Only recently, I witnessed the aftermath of an accident which involved buffaloes at the Lahat/Pusing junction of the Ipoh-Lumut highway.Two buffaloes could be seen dead on the road sides and two badly damaged vehicles flung away from the road while the police and ambulances were already at the scene.

While we should drive carefully and within speed limits, the buffalo owners need to keep their herd from the roads and highways. Poor enforcement?

Link

No comments: