How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Kebaya again, the tradition continues...

Recently, I had posted a kebaya and a tube at the post office in Batu Gajah (postage Rm11) to my daughter in Aberdeen, which she received after a full 2 weeks. The second week bothered me simply because it is so important to her and I did not register the parcel! I was encouraged to do so because only recently, I had posted her mouth guard at the Post Office in KLIA unregistered (postage only Rm2) which she received in 4 days!

I have seen old pictures of my mother-in-law wearing 'sarong kebaya' at her children's convocations. My wife decided (my son would laugh at this, because she decides on everything!) she would continue the tradition at my two daughters' convocation. But she didn't at my son's convocation at University of Sydney, which I did not attend (on the premise that having given up my job, I had to live within my means and that included forgoing foreign travel).

I attended my elder daughter's because she would have been greatly disappointed having obtained First Class Honours plus achieving the best dissertation in the course. Then, I did not have the heart to disappoint my younger daughter who obtained Second Upper. Sometimes, decisions are difficult to make because they affect others' feelings.

This coming November 24 is my younger daughter's convocation day when she will be receiving her Master in International Health Management at Aberdeen University, Scotland. This time, both of us will not be attending! It would appear that I cannot afford to travel, yet can afford not to attend because I had 'been there, done that' before, which some parents might be envious over! Excuse me for showing off, because I have nothing else to show!

To be honest, besides financial reasons, for the past few weeks I had problems with my right knee and it would be agony if I were to travel, having to lug luggages and bags. My wife's reason is mainly the cold weather now that it is winter and it being northern part of United Kingdom. But my daughter has invited my nephew (the one who looks most like me) and his wife and daughter, Jun (the lucky one who had seen Queen Elizabeth face-to-face as a baby!) for her to aspire to be a graduate (in her mum's own words).

No comments: