How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Police seems to like me...

Late last night, while coming back from Bandar Baru Sri Klebang, near Chemor, I saw the swirling blue lights of a police patrol car following ours. There was no siren nor verbal warning via loudspeaker to stop. I hesitated, partly because my wife who was half asleep, said, 'Don't stop, don't know who they are.' But I had to stop because it really looked like a genuine police car and I would not like the idea of being shot at for not stopping.

I sounded annoyed when a policeman came near to my side when I asked, 'apa salah?' (or what did I do wrong?) He asked for my driving licence and identity card and asked where I was going and where I came from. There is also the favourite question of 'apa kerja?' (or what do you do?). Then I was told that one of my tail lamps did not light up. All the while, my phobic wife said, 'don't get down, drive to a bright area' but I had to trust my own judgment. I got out of the vehicle and sure enough the right side tail lamp was off. Again I was asked what work I do. I asked them in return, from which police station, 'IPK?' and was corrected, 'IPD'. He also asked who was sitting in the car and I replied, 'my wife' (she refused to wind down the window, so I could not blame him for asking). While one was writing down my particulars, the other advised me to get the light fixed.

Earlier this evening, I remembered about the problem light which my wife promised to take it for repairs but didn't. It was already quarter to 7pm and I had yet to shower to attend this birthday dinner. So I went to the nearest auto air-cond shop to have the bulb checked. The apprentice changed the bulb but the light came on and off. Then he suggested that I take it to an electrician. So I went to one which was about to close. He was initially put off by the type of car but realized Mazda twin-cab pick-up was easier to open the lamp cover than the Ford. After changing the base of the bulb, he checked the light as well as the braking lights. It was only while driving to the nearest junction that I realized the rear right signal lamp was not working instead! But I was getting late for my mother-in-law's birthday dinner and had to chance it. In fact, two factory workers were waiting for me to fetch them.

After dinner, at Jalan Lahat, I saw a police road block. When it came to my turn, one look at the back passenger (Indian looking Myanmar national) he signaled to me to stop at the side and signaled to one policeman to check me out. This Indian policeman wished me 'Good evening, may I see your driving licence and IC including those of your passengers?' As my wife drove past in another car, I gestured her to stop in case there were problems with their papers. He asked me the favourite question, 'what do you do?' and I replied, 'retired'. He said 'you don't look retired' and I replied, '59 already, not retired?' Then he asked 'retired from PDRM?' and I said, 'private sector, lah'. 'Where are you going?' and I replied, ' after mother-in-law's birthday dinner' By then he saw me gesturing to my wife in another car in front, and he offered his hand and wished me, 'happy birthday, why didn't you say so!' and I replied, 'nice meeting you!'

At home, my wife actually said when she was following my car, she noticed the problem lamp did not light up and thought I was stopped because of it. In other words, the earlier problem recurred and the signal lamp as well will have to be re-checked. But I must say, the police gave me the benefit of the doubt... because I looked... presentable? honest? never mind, I got away both times without having to 'bribe' like what others perceive the police would do. I should give credit where credit was due.
Link

No comments: