How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, January 22, 2010

Honesty is hard to find

When it comes to honesty, my mind will be filled with the chorus of Billy Joel's song...

'Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue...'

On December 30, the day my three ex-schoolmates were supposed to return to KL, I took them to Clearwater Sanctuary, especially because one of them (Australian now) is a keen golfer and he has yet to set foot there. For a quick round before lunch, the driving range seemed suitable though the other two were not keen at all.

The golfer asked for two clubs - 3 and 7 irons but had to settle for 3 and 8 instead, from what I had in my half set. He watched me and gave some useful tips, but as usual it did not help because my body and limbs would not listen to instructions. One of the two said he gave up because he sprained his wrist once because of it. After much cajoling, this part-time Taichi instructor did it Taichi style and impressed the golfer! He tried and agreed it helped in a way provided it did not clash with his own style.

After finishing the 100 balls, one of them reminded me to drive the car under the shade, while I was supposed to take them to the fishing area, my favourite because most times nobody would be fishing and I usually have the place to myself for a nice chat amid the lake and serene surroundings, which we did. I took them to the chalets, hoping to have a pre-view of the suites but it was fully occupied because of the holidays. Next we headed to Menglembu for lunch.

Did we forget something? Yes, of course!

It was in the morning of January 1, two days after, that I realized I did not remember collecting the two golf clubs from a plastic chair when I returned the two buckets and 2 rubber tees. I have learned that because of my forgetfulness, I should be more focused on what is important ie. the clubs instead of being good as instructed, ie. to return the two rubber tees normally attached to the mats. It should have been a warning sign that things get stolen.

I reported by phone and a lady and a gentleman, on separate days, promised to check with the driving range supervisor. Then I was advised to lodge a formal complaint. Two ladies were very helpful in promising to investigate. But I had my doubts and still do, because who would admit to theft, especially if a staff member had conveniently taken them?

Those were old clubs and not worth much, and as my friend was telling me, that I should get new lighter ones instead of those heavy ones. But my disappointment was more because of the lack of supervision. A properly managed one would have keen staff members to remind members or guests if they left anything behind. If not, then anything left behind should, as a rule, be handed to the Pro shop in case someone asks for it later.

It had been 3 weeks, and still no news, which means bad news.

Link

No comments: