How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, February 27, 2010

PKR Open House in BU3 Community Centre

Made an effort to go there, with directional tips from Google Maps. Was alright turning into Lebuhraya Banda Utama but turned too soon towards Dataran BU instead. Well, all these mistakes are 'lesson fees' in terms of petrol, but no better way of learning the routes in Klang Valley or anywhere else.

Judging by the number of cars parked haphazardly, the response was definitely good. I parked towards the end of the road which appears to be the perimeter of Bandar Utama with direction to the right to Kota Damansara. On my way out turning left, I drove past Banda Utama Heights and KDU International College on the right.

But like always, was the response good because of 'free food' as I overheard a lady telling someone with her mobile phone, or genuine support from members of the Pakatan coalition and the public. There were a number of 'bas sekolah' and a small group of women who were deciding whether to go back in or wait in a place near the bus so that they stayed together for the return journey.

As I was walking towards the community centre, I could see long queues for satay, cendol, and wherever foods were displayed. One section used coupons which were given free but the system did not seem to work because there was another section for PKR which was buffet style without coupons. I just got some fried rice and curry and a packet of nasi lemak with no interest for the others.

Soon, I could hear drums of lion dance which was to welcome Opposition leader and Advisor to PKR, YB Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. I managed to get a good look at him at a distance almost near enough to shake his hand! Among the guests were party leaders of PKR, DAP and PAS, and distinguished guests of the diplomatic community as well as NGOs. I could see a Chinese band playing with traditional musical instruments.

Then I saw MP YB Sivarasa Rasiah walking out with ADUN YB Elizabeth Wong, so I took the opportunity to reach out to EW just to introduce myself because she had invited me (and many others) through Facebook. Mission accomplished.

Now, comes to a sad news after I met a former college mate at the event. Just imagine I saw this lady (among the hundreds of people at any one time) who looked familiar despite the ageing process and I could not resist asking her if she was so and so. She replied yes and then could recognise me. I asked for her name again because I could remember her younger sister's (both of them in our class) but I knew her sister better. I asked about her and at first she said 'something bad happened to her' and she would tell me some other time, but I replied I don't even have your contact number. Anyway she said she had passed on 2-3 years ago! I am still shocked with the news. I cannot help thinking if it was meant to be some divine intervention that made me go there to meet her!

Mary, during our Form 6 days, was very modern in her outlook and the way she dressed. I brought her to the event where I played in a 3-piece band in a band competition. We met again in London (where she did her graphic design) occasionally, because my then girlfriend's sister lived in the same flat. They were such good friends that they kept in touch even though she married a Thai and settled in Bangkok.

A few years ago, when her mum was very ill, she made a trip to Ipoh. She told my sister-in-law that she would like to meet me again. My wife and I went to visit her and saw her mum as well. Later we made appointment for dinner at Tg. Tualang. I went to fetch her from Ipoh to BG where we had a long chat before proceeding to Tg. Tualang. Then we sent her back to Ipoh.

Because of Tan Chong service centre in Jalan Kuala Kangsar, I passed her family house quite often.

I actually tried to call her again but because of the change in telephone numbers in Thailand, I could not reach her. Her sister asked me when was that and now I am thinking if that was when she had already passed on! Which was why this meeting could be a way of informing me.
Link

No comments: