How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, August 30, 2010

Against my better judgment...

but tourists, like customers, are always right.

No, actually they were agreeable to anything I suggested but my daughter was the one making the decisions... instead of my wife who could not join us because of work commitments.

Cheng had been away for 7 years (though back for holidays in between), so much so that she was at a loss as to where to go and especially which routes to take, when two former college-mates came to stay for a night, then another who came with her fiance a day later for day trip!

We met the couple at Kelly's Castle before we proceeded to Tg. Tualang for early lunch, to beat the expected crowd. We had a bad experience a few years ago, on National Day, when a lunch at 1.00 pm finished at 3.30 pm! For this, she listened to our advice, and we reached there at 11.00 am when we saw one of the partners actually in the process of opening the roller shutters.

We ordered basically the usual: one and a half kg. of fresh water prawns, a fresh water fish (pak sou koong), fried tofu with Thai chili sauce, two types of vegetable and fried rice. The verdict was 'excellent' and for KL folks, the prices were unbelievably cheap! The total bill was less than what I paid (Rm180) for a so-called kg. (I believe given only 1 kati) of medium sized prawns at Overseas Restaurant in Armada Hotel, Petaling Jaya! Cheng's friend was quick in paying, though I was there first. While waiting for the bill at what looked like cash counter, he actually went inside the room and locked the door from the inside!

On our way back, we went to visit the tin dredge. Already two cars were there and we got the impression that nobody was around during lunch break. A guy who claimed to have worked on the dredge in the '60s, was speaking to Steven and was told to get the keys to open the gates for us. The young ones actually climbed to the highest platforms in the dredge to see the different equipment on display and later, one of them actually went up the highest metal stairs. Having been there several times before, I walked out of the dredge, to sit on a swing instead!

When we reached home, it was time to decide the best way to go to Ipoh. I suggested all six of us go in the Navara but some of them were uneasy with the expected squeeze. Cheng said it is better to go in 3 cars so that later, they can go off from Ipoh instead of coming back to BG for the cars. As I have mentioned, it was against my better judgment to go along with her suggestion. I had unpleasant experience with 3 cars in a convoy, especially when the other 2 drivers did not know the way at all. I tried my best to make sure that they were following my car, like deliberately going slow and stopping at traffic lights instead of the usual attempt at beating the lights. But today's traffic as I had expected, was not normal, with the cars from KL and elsewhere back in Ipoh for the extended weekend because of the National Day celebration. For the few times when one car was left behind, it was thanks to the cell phone that we could keep in touch.

We went all the way to Tambun first, to get the pomeloes direct from the farm. Then my suggestion to have coffee elsewhere instead of going through the jam to get it at Sin Yin Loong was turned down by Cheng. Fortunately, the traffic eased much and it was quite easy getting there... but it was closed! The effect of the original white coffee shop being closed was reflected in the one opposite (Nam Heong) packed with people waiting to be seated. We opted for the third choice which is next to the original. One kind customer on his own, actually moved to join another single customer leaving one table available for us.

To me, the coffee was equally good and judging from their expression, they could not tell the difference. They ordered some snacks from the stalls in front, which they enjoyed very much.

Then I had to lead the way to buy biscuits - Yee Thye for them, Yee Hup for me to get some special 'heong paeng' (made from oats, without fillings) ordered by my friend in KL. I was caught in the jam and we were separated and said goodbye over the phone, with each of us going to different shops.

I just got a call from the friend who is going to buy his special amplifier in KL, that he could not make it on Sept. 1. I told him I have just bought the special biscuits for our trip, for this friend who will be leaving for China on Sept. 4! This trip has been postponed a few times, and each time I had to inform my other friends who are supposed to join us in checking out on this AER amp.

By the way, before we left for Ipoh, I played the drums to show Cheng's friends. I chose Reflections (by Marmalade) and Smoke on the Water (by Deep Purple). Because they didn't expect it, they were impressed, with comments like, 'You're the coolest dad I have come across'! and with thumbs up to show that I was good. I had to tell them that I am humbled by kids who were properly trained by music schools and colleges that I am too shy to play in front of them.

A few lame jokes I picked from them at the restaurant earlier, if I can still remember them:

1. Mun thau (plain buns) went to see a sad show with Char siew pau. Char siew pau cried while Mun thau didn't. Why? Because Mun thau 'has no fillings'!

2. Tai pau and Char Siew pau went to see a sad show. Tai pau cried a lot more than Char siew pau. Why? Because Tai pau 'has more fillings'!

3. Lin yoong pau and Char siew pau and their kids were walking along the road. A vehicle came by and run down the kids, spilling lin yoong. Lin yoong pau got a slap from Char siew pau instead of grief. Why? Because the kids were not Char siew pau's!
I did not quite agree on this part because in terms of appearance, kids might look like the mother instead of the father. Cheng agreed and said that the story should instead mention two Char Siew paus (male and female) and their kids, and after the accident, lin yoong was spilled.

Link

No comments: