How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, August 16, 2010

If only lightning = lottery...

Last Thursday night, there was a thunderstorm in Batu Gajah. After the first thunder heard nearby, I unplugged my usual: computer, modem, telephone line linking to it, television and indoor aerial. After ten minutes of lightning and thunder around us, there was one big bang which seemed like glass being shattered. Darkness followed and we lighted some candles while waiting for the storm to subside.

After half an hour or so, we decided to check the circuit breakers. Normally, our sensitive circuit breaker in the house would need to be switched back on. But nothing happened. Then we checked the one outside, next to the mains. Even after switching it back, again nothing happened. My wife called TNB 15454 and they promised to send someone. It was 9.30pm and a team came 2 hours later. After careful checking, it was confirmed that our circuit breaker just before the meter was zapped by lightning and the technician said it was our problem and we had to get our own electrician to replace it. It was too late and we had to wait till the next morning.

As early as 7.30am, my wife called her usual chargeman to come as soon as he starts his day's work, with a new circuit breaker. He checked and replaced it. This was the second time that we had to replace it because of lightning strike. If only the lottery we bought would strike, not once but twice! A suggestion to install a lightning arrester was dissuaded by the chargeman. He said, 'Once you install it, every time the lightning would take the route and even if the arrester is not functioning, it would still take the same route!' Besides the circuit breakers, we have had our television and a few modems damaged by electricity surges. Unplugging the sensitive items before we leave our house for outings has become a way of life for us, being in a lightning prone area.

With resumption of electricity supply, the next thing for me to do was to switch on my notebook and modem, but no lights from it. So it was confirmed that despite unplugging it after the first thunder, I was too late. Then I used my old wifi modem and no matter how I tried it, a red light showed for 'internet'. Took it to the shop and the manager tried various ways but confirmed that the modem had problem. Because of the thunderstorm, he sold out all his available modems but promised to call me when it is available later. Waited the whole afternoon and it was confirmed new stock did not arrive. He said, each time there was a thunderstorm, his modem sales would be good, otherwise sometimes he could not sell even one in a month!

I am still waiting for his supply and I am posting this from an internet cafe! I have checked my mailbox and there were 64 emails and I did not read them all.

Yesterday, I did something rather silly. Just before boarding the plane, my younger daughter texted me to top up her handphone credit. I was in Ipoh for the Sunday market and walked to Yik Foong Complex to buy a card. Followed instructions and sent. When I got the quick response, I was surprised. Then I realized that I had actually topped up my own phone credit!

Anyway, my other daughter will be back in a couple of days and I am looking forward to a family reunion here soon. Our last was 3 years ago in UK! Meanwhile I need to get my internet connection working as she will be bringing back some work to do here.

Link

No comments: