How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Sunday, August 29, 2010

One man's boycott happens to be spouse's must have

We buy The Star daily (including The Sunday Star) and The New Sunday Times weekly. Normally, on Sunday, I would order our roti canai and thosai, buy the papers and collect the food on my way back.

This morning, we were supposed to have breakfast with my son and friend, before we go to Selama while they leave for KL later, after visiting grandma. I forgot about the newspapers and to me, it was no big deal not reading them. Supposed to boycott but would read since my wife would insist on having the daily Star, and also The Sun if available. I was surprised at her reaction for my not buying the Sunday Star and New Sunday Times this morning.

When we reached Selama, Kedah at about 1 pm, we looked for them to no avail. Then we tried Selama, Perak. On our return using the old road to Taiping, we tried looking for them, again without success. I told her, if necessary, I would borrow from friends if they are so important to her. When we reached home past 4.00 pm, we tried the Chinese newsagent, again negative. Then I tried the Indian newsagent next, and surprise, surprise, he had both! Just yesterday, when I asked for The Star, I joking replied on his behalf, 'How many copies do you want?' He was modest enough to say he could not say that because he had only one copy left. But this afternoon, he could for NST, showing me a stack of them!

Anyway, moral of the story: don't ever assume that what is unimportant for me means the same to my wife! Lesson learnt.





Link

No comments: