How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Survey No.6: If you had a choice as a musician, would you rather be a...

55% chose the pianist; 22% chose classical guitarist; 11% chose violinist; and 11% chose 'none of the above'.

I am not sure if those who participated in this poll were thinking of the same thing. For example, my question could be taken to mean as a musician who knows how to play a number of instruments, which would you choose to play?, or we are given a wish to be an accomplished musician, which would instrument would you choose to be good at? What I had in mind was more towards the second situation.

Personally, I find it difficult to choose because each instrument has its own charming appeal. As a kid, without a piano at home, I used to envy those people whose houses I walked past, where I could hear music being played on the piano. To me, it put them one class above us - being able to afford an expensive musical instrument, and the ability to play it would presume English education, with good social grace and culture, as influenced by Western films.

Of course, after a period of 'kiasu' parents who insisted on piano lessons to keep up with the Joneses and to show others they have social grace and culture, the sheer number of people who knows how to play piano, coupled with some who are actually lacking in social grace, it is not what it seemed to me anymore! Now, it would need a really good pianist of concert standard to show that extra touch of class, to anyone who is still particular about that aspect!

Sometimes, the audience spoils it. I was at this Old Pupils of SMK Sultan Yussuf dinner, in the royal presence of the Sultan, who is a former student too. A friend's daughter (who is now with Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra) played a few pieces, but the chatter during dinner really spoilt it.

The world has changed, with the fast pace dictated by information technology and the internet, where people have no time to enjoy what used to be pleasurable music but more inclined to techno-related gadgets and remix.

Having seen classical guitarist able to play on his own almost like a pianist, it is amazing to listen to, with a different feel. The advantage of a guitarist is the ability to take the instrument anywhere and what we used to say, able to 'pull the birds' or 'attract girls'. If I were a singer who wishes to record a song, I would include some nice guitar solo riffs which would definitely be a plus point. Currently Malaysian, Roger Wang is riding high accompanying his vocalist, and especially his involvement in some songs recorded by Andy Lau.

To me, the violin used to be a classical music instrument but used in pop music to provide something different. Vanessa Mae comes to mind. As a kid, when we just had our black and white television, I used to watch Florian Zabach show late at night. It was the first time, I knew one can pluck the violin! It is more suitable to soulful music, much like the Chinese erhu which to some, is even considered to evoke sadness!

I have always wondered how a double bassist knows the positions on the instrument with no frets like a guitar! It has its own charm, especially in a jazz group. But the modern electric bass is more versatile in tones, and I am actually hooked, but alas the lack of talent and the patience to learn it!

Recently, saxophone has been gaining popularity with soothing tunes recorded by Kenny G and Dave Koz. As musical illiterates, besides the different types of sax, we tend to include instruments like clarinet as similar. I have just checked (luckily before posting) and realized I got mixed up James Galway, the famous flautist with Acker Bilk, the clarinetist! In fact, on our way back from Petaling Jaya on Sunday, I was listening to his Stranger on the shore (1 out of 15 songs/tunes of a compilation 'lazy days' which was given free to Daily Mirror, but bought at a charity shop in Canterbury for 50p!). Just hours before that, I was charmed by this flautist who played a number of wind instruments (including one which looks like a big recorder) made from bamboo, at the Amcorp Mall. He played along with the tunes from a compact disc (presumably his own recording) and his stall displayed a number of cd for sale.

As someone who loves to play the drums kit, without proper music knowledge, I am like someone who can speak a language but unable to read or write it! I am surprised Antares describes himself as musically illiterate too. But I cannot compare with him. He has depth in his knowledge of things. I had a few months of basic drums lessons which effectively means only a few hours! For someone to be really good, he needs hours of frequent practice. Lewis Pragasam told my daughter during an interview in Help University College that he used to practise 16 hours a day! Now, we have Arthur Kam and Arthur Goes, to Berkeley College to further his already certified drumming knowledge and years of exposure to international musicians and singers since a kid! To drummer wannabees, these are our local idols to emulate.

I am basically a recalcitrant in learning in the sense that I cannot follow rules completely. In the case of drumming, I just learned the basics and play according to what I hear ie. learn by ear which has a lot of limitations. For example, I have to rely on my memory of the tune, when to change beats, when to do the different drum rolls and so on. Multiply that by hundreds of songs and I think it is virtually impossible to memorize, especially to people who are getting on in age. So the right environment for me is to jam with others, provided they are not fussy over the details. I play according to my mood at any time, so each time it comes out differently! Anyway, someone commented that for musicians, it is actually easier to play in an orchestra where there is a conductor to provide cue on the exact moment to play which note. By the way, drumming on its own is most boring, unless you are exceptionally good. But then again, it is not music, is it?

With this, I wish to stop my little surveys for now, before visitors get bored. A big thank you to those who participated, otherwise I might be more embarrassed with a zero vote which would not enable me to give an opinion on the topics.

Link

No comments: