How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

It ain't KL if not for the traffic jams

Yesterday, just after noon, we set off to KL city centre - wife to Low Yat Plaza and Cheng to Times Square to meet Laks who was supposed to come for a day trip from Kluang. They were close friends during Help College days. The traffic was smooth. I spoke too soon because after turning left into Jalan Sultan Ismail and the jam started. It took me 40 minutes to get to Sentul!

At my friend's place, I had time to look into the bass drum lug that came off the other day but did not have time then. Upon closer look, I noticed it was because of the poor quality material - looks like metal but brittle like plastic, like what we get from cheap plumbing items like shower head and tap. How could they use those material for tightening purposes? Before this, I broke one of the T-shaped part meant for tightening the toms. Now I am beginning to appreciate my Pearl drum kit even though made in Taiwan. Bought two lugs for Rm20, and while tightening the bass drum, another one of the lugs came off! It will have to be another trip to Doremi. We get special service like calling Alice to open the rear gate for us to park if we could not find a space.

Before I got a call to fetch them, I have already started my journey from Jalan Ipoh/Jalan Perhentian at 4.45pm and I went right into a terrible jam from there to Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Jalan Dang Wangi, Jalan Ampang, Jalan Sultan Ismail. Called SP to find out where she was. Still in KLCC but did not know the way out. Told her to come out and tell me a landmark. She was facing Jalan Ampang, opposite Wisma Equity. While inching my way there, told her to walk towards me instead, so she had to walk left round the corner to find me still at Jalan P. Ramlee. From there, I turned into Jalan Ampang and turned right into Jalan Tun Razak. It was a slow drive changing lane to the right thinking it was the same like before. Then I saw the sign showing left if going into Jalan Bukit Bintang! Meanwhile, told Cheng to forget about coffee and to get ready at Times Square, but not sure how long it would take. But the timing was perfect as she had just said goodbye to Laks and waited just a moment before we arrived.

We went straight to Jalan Hang Tuah and though the sign showed PJ on the left, I took the familiar route via Jalan Maharajalela, then joined Jalan Syed Putra towards PJ. By the time we arrive at Section 14, opposite Jaya 33, I had driven for 3 hours from Jalan Ipoh! I could have reached BG instead.

As usual, with the benefit of hindsight, we were told how silly we were to have decided to go to KL city centre on such a day! SP actually said I should have gone straight to PJ and they could have taken the LRT instead. But could anyone foresee how bad the traffic situation?

While we were still in the Federal highway, we got a call from Laks that the LRT train stopped for breaking of fast! She had only 15 minutes to get to the bus station at Bukit Jalil. Fortunately she called back to say she got on in time. But later, Cheng got a call from her that the bus had a puncture! We should consider ourselves lucky just being stuck in a traffic jam.
Link

6 comments:

yb said...

Kosong, did the LRT service really stopped for break fasting?

KoSong Cafe said...

I don't really know what happened. It stopped after an announcement about 'buka puasa' and even a few minutes stop was enough to cause our friend to panic, not knowing for how long.

yb said...

Kosong! I wrote to Rapid and they admitted that they do announce when it was time to break the fast for the benefit of their Muslim passengers. But, the tren service should run as normal and they do not stop to break their fast.

Maybe there was some technical glitch Kosong? I hope this helps.

I have their emel if you wish to have it.

KoSong Cafe said...

Thanks yb for taking the trouble to find out. I must apologise for giving the wrong impression. I described how Laks felt and as told to Cheng over the phone. So it was a normal anxious moment felt by a passenger who was supposed to get off to catch a bus leaving for another town.

I have checked and can confirm that it was announced when the train stopped at a station just before Bukit Jalil, her destination. I suppose it was a coincidence that the announcement was made at a scheduled stop and Laks was worried that it was going to be longer than usual.

yb said...

You did nothing wrong and there's no need to apologize. I was just curious myself. Anyway its gonna be a long weekend ahead, so Selamat Hari Raya and enjoy yourself.

KoSong Cafe said...

Thanks yb. Selamat Hari Raya and have a nice time. I might be on the road again because of our surprise visitor from Poland. Expecting to be caught in traffic jams somewhere between Ipoh and KL and KLIA.