How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, October 09, 2010

My way of celebrating birthday this year

Last Saturday, my son gave me a surprise birthday dinner in Ipoh with a birthday cake (with reduced sugar, very thoughtful indeed) made by his girlfriend.

I was told that we were going to have dinner with my sister-in-law and husband. It was only at the restaurant when we were early, and were asked whether we had booked (which required a phone call to him to confirm), that I overheard a waitress mentioning to another about a birthday cake, that I guessed that it was supposed to be for my birthday.

To me, it was the beginning of 'my celebration' because I knew there were a few others' events to help me along.

Last Sunday, my son was 'conned' by my wife into joining us for a trip to Kuala Sepetang (I have just realized our tendency to go there... KS or KSP sound familiar to me) that it was 'very near' and would take 'a short time'! We went to Ipoh first to collect some 'kaya puffs' ordered earlier, then to Chemor to view a piece of land, which naturally turned out to be wife's choice of 'old road'. Yes, it was a nice car ride, but as my son said, 'time is something which we don't have', bearing in mind his earlier wish to be back by 6.00 pm.

Anyway, after dinner, we took the expressway to cut travelling time but it was 7.15pm before we reached home. Earlier when in Ipoh, we actually passed the famous 'salted chicken' shop but it turned out a big mistake not to buy first (I would blame it on my wife's usual optimism that we could buy it on our way back) because when we reached Menglembu, one shop had already sold out while another was already closed.

Last Tuesday, we attended a harvester's wedding dinner in Selama, Kedah. It was supposed to be 'sayonara' (with reference to my wife's 26 years travelling to and fro there) a few days ago, but then how could we not make it for his special day?

Then on Thursday, I made the effort to help my friend to celebrate his wife's birthday in his new restaurant.

Today, we are doing my wife's carpenter a favour by fetching him from Simpang Pulai to join us on our way to PJ. This 'poor' (but rich) old man just recovered from severe constipation which turned out (fortunately) to be a serious piles condition instead of cancer. He enjoys his work and his wife enjoys looking after more than 10 dogs and rears turkeys, ducks and chickens! On our way out of their compound one evening, I noticed 10 stray dogs (including puppies, some with very big ears pointing upwards) waiting outside (those were in addition to their own)! He told us while closing the gates that they were waiting for their food! This explains why his wife had a big box behind her bicycle which she used to collect food and vegetables from elsewhere. I can understand why my wife felt sorry for him and offered to provide transport to PJ since he mentioned he is going there. Compassion can be infectious too.

My trip to KL was unexpected (otherwise my son would have arranged to celebrate in PJ) because I was invited by my ex-classmate to his 60th birthday dinner. His birthday actually falls one day after mine but October 10 this year is special and I guess all big restaurants are fully booked.

I have mentioned before in my blog that I do not need to celebrate my birthday this year because many many others will be celebrating for one reason or other, mainly weddings, and not least, Taiwan's National Day!

Link

No comments: