How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Leaving on a jetplane...

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go..."

Lately, we seem to hear of friends and relatives either planning, will be going or have just been to this country or other. Some have to travel because of work or business, while others have both the time and money to do what they love to do – seeing new places and meeting new people.

Some friends or relatives seem to feel that I am missing out on travel, but to be honest, I do not feel deprived at all. Having spent eight years in UK, I have travelled within the country, on day trips to Harrogate, Yorkshire Dales, York, Scarborough and so on, and overnight trips to slightly further places like Lake District, Scotland and Wales. I have been to Europe several times, to places like Benelux countries, Italy and France.

Being a pessimist did not help in travels because I worry over anything that could go wrong, especially where it involved air travel and the use of passport, and the need to get through Custom officers. I have heard of too many harrowing experience like being questioned for hours; being prevented from entering the country and sent home on the next available flight, being found with contraband and so on. Even before taking the flight, the procedures necessary for some countries which require visa would have put me off before I even book the air ticket. For example, the requirements to provide evidence of enough financial means and so on. What comes to mind is the question, 'Why must I go through all these?' If I am not welcome, there are many other places which would welcome me. I might as well go where I will be treated well and the exchange rates are favourable.

Recently, I was told about a relation who was pick-pocketed in Europe. Then a friend and his family too, which included loss of his daughter's passport which was really inconvenient for a couple of days to sort out. Then the stories about the Expo in China which required long queues if you were interested in popular ones. A sister-in-law came back from Cambodia and was hospitalized because of food poisoning, though her two sisters had the same foods were alright.

Very often, I hear of people saying, 'I'm so glad to be home' or even 'I can't wait to get home'! Duh! Were you forced to go away? Older folks, especially, are not as fit, yet they do not want to miss out, with reasons like 'I better travel when I can still walk'. Because of the tight schedules, most complained that they felt like they were on the run as in wartime. Sometimes, they had to stay in the bus while others trek to see the buildings or whatever were supposed to be attractions to tourists. A retired Malay teacher told me that he was offered to travel overseas by one of his children, but he said that instead of wasting money (I would be staying in the coach), why not give me the money to renovate the house! Which was what he did and he was so glad.

I do not envy those who had to travel overseas frequently because of business or work, simply because they had to. It might seem glamorous initially, but I am sure they suffer from jet lags too. I am sure there were days when they did not feel like going.

An Australian frequent jet-setter actually expressed his worry that statistically, it isn't safe for him anymore!

Last but not least, there are scientific proof that...

Jet Lag May Cause Stupidity!
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/jet-lag-stupidity/
Link

No comments: