How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, December 03, 2010

Trivialities on phone protocol...

but important in personal or public relations, … to me, at the very least.

Yesterday, I received a call on my mobile phone and it did not show the usual caller's numbers. Recalling my reaction, I realized that it actually put me off for one reason or other. When I thought about the reason why I reacted like that, it dawned on me that it was simply because I did not like the fact that the other person refused to reveal his or her identity to start with. What is the big mystery about you that you are afraid to let people know your phone numbers? I can understand if it was being revealed in public domains like in blogsite, Facebook and so on. I can also understand if it has to do with company policy or for other strategic reasons.

I would be put off if someone was reluctant or even refused to give me his or her telephone numbers when asked. The classic 'Don't call me, I'll call you' is not friendly, is it? A 'nephew' actually gave an excuse like, 'I don't normally switch on my handphone, blah, blah'... did he think I am going to pester him with calls? I have so many phone numbers in my phone memory for 'just in case', like the plumber who installed our plumbing years ago and whom I called recently to change the water pipes in PJ. There are even those of my children's good friends (when they happened to use my phone) for just in case I want to reach them. Surely, I am not going to call their friends for chats!

My wife has her reasons for not putting names to some numbers, yet will wonder aloud to me, 'who is this calling?' Yesterday, someone called the house phone looking for her and she had left behind her mobile phone. I looked for her last call to try and reach her, but realized she had called from the house phone and I had given up TM's caller ID subscription!

The other thing is SMS. I remember how useful it was to save some phone charges but I am put off by it because it is easier and much better calling the person for communication purposes and it costs little if we are quick. SMS requires a response and quite often, the addressee's genuine miss was misconstrued as deliberate refusal to respond. Again, I would be put off when a close relative or good friend SMS me instead of calling me. It gives me the impression that he or she does not want to talk to me! Simple as that! But then again, SMS is wonderful if we are in a public place with someone within hearing distance. I hate having a conversation in the presence of strangers, especially in a lift. But some people enjoy it because they like to show off when they drop names while doing so. For example, 'Yes, Tan Sri... I will be seeing Datuk... later... Najib will be there too! Ha ha'

My computer savvy friend has been forwarding the latest news on mobile phones, their operating systems and capabilities. While he is on the look out for the BEST (the fast pace of new technology makes it best only temporarily), I am way behind, still using my son's old handphone. I am not complaining because it serves my purpose for now and if it ever gets misplaced, I would not feel the loss as much as a brand new expensive one. I am waiting for the 'dust to settle down' with the fierce competition among producers, when prices will be more competitive. My criteria to be met would include all the old features like camera, still new to me like GPS, wifi and other computer capabilities which should include for Skpe use. I am not crazy about Facebook and Twitter but these capabilities would have been included anyway. I am in no hurry and I refuse to be slavish to technology.

Meanwhile, this is the latest he has found out for stock market trading using handphone:

Hi, Stock market Players,

Due to the inability of any smartphones today( iPhones, Androids, BlackBerry) , to run realtime stock market applications that worked w/o problems on our Desktop/Notebooks, I think the 10" Viewsonic (ViewPad 10) tablet below may be worth a visit for a review checkout.

The smartphones today can successfully display ONLY the homepage of each of the online realtime stock broking companies, and allow us to get manually invoked stock quotes ONE AT A TIME, via a little stock quote box. This is what I've found out since last nite when TK said that it can't be done on an Android. Yes, smartphone can do this, but it can't allow us to go realtime online, with buying and selling online as well, i.e when we log in, nothing is displayed.

Unless someone with a good smartphone can tell me otherwise. I'm still searching for an answer since last nite.

I've found out that Android doesn't use the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) and the full JDK apps. Oh, iPhones and Androids have other stock market monitoring apps, but not realtime trading ones.

Both the iPhone and Android (even the IPad 10") can't. Smarthphones are still not fully there yet in this field. I understand it will be soon, as there are request that SECURED online banking be allowed on smartphones.

IF WE REALLY WANT TO WATCH THE STOCK MARKET ONLINE ON OUR SMARTPHONES, WE HAVE TO CONTACT OUR RESPECTIVE STOCK BROKING FIRM, AND ASK FOR A "MOBILE" VERSION OF THEIR TRADING SYSTEM. SOME MAY CHARGE, SOME DON'T.

I think of going to have a look at this 10" Viewsonic not because I like bigger display, but because it has a dual boot (at least, from what I've read) OS system between Window Home Premium and Android. The 10" model is only RM200/= more than its 7" cousin running ONLY Android.

I just wanna find out if this ViewPad 10 Window version can run our realtime online trading stock market, allowing buy and selling as well. This ViewPad 10 has an Windows 7 Home Premium OS, hopefully exactly as the one I'm using now to type this email.

Don't think we give a shit about what OS they use, as long as that OS can run our money-making (losing???) app. online, realtime, the complete works.

What say ye?? Anyone care to join me one day....?

Rgds
KC


Link

No comments: