How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, February 07, 2011

M. Bakri Musa on Enhancing Human Capital

Excerpt:

"Indeed the most important asset of a nation is its human capital; not its fancy infrastructures, gleaming skyscrapers, or national airline. This wealth consists of the present and future earnings as a result of education, training, knowledge, skills, and health of the citizens. Because of this dominance of human capital in the aggregate wealth of a nation, large changes in the value of the stock market, currency value, and other physical assets will not greatly influence the behavior of citizens."

..."Far too often my Malaysian secretary would simply respond, “Dr. Musa is not in the office.” End of conversation! Well, if she simply ignored the ring, then the caller would indeed know that I was not in. There is no need to pay someone to say the obvious. My secretary did not add any value in answering the phone that way.

In contrast, my efficient American secretary would answer it differently. In a clear voice she would first identify herself and the office: “Dr. Musa’s Morgan Hill office. Vicky speaking, may I help you?”

Short yet informative. If the caller had mistakenly dialed my office instead of the pizza place, he or she would know immediately. And if I were not in, she would not just simply state that fact but would add, “He is in surgery and not expected in until 3 PM. May I help you?” If the caller is simply enquiring about her bill, my secretary would be able to help accordingly. And if it is from a pesky salesman, she has protected me from wasting my valuable time in taking the call.

If the caller is someone important, such as a doctor wanting to refer a patient, she would add, “I can have him call you right away.” Then she would page me and I would call that referring doctor immediately. In that way I would not lose any potential referral. My secretary knows only too well that her job depends on whether I have patients. Hence she would treat every phone call as if it is coming from a potential customer. She cannot afford to simply dismiss it by saying, “The doctor is not in!”

"Robert Townsend, the former CEO of Avis Rent-A-Car, related in his book Up the Organization how whenever he was on a road trip he used to phone his headquarters and also the local franchise pretending to be a potential customer. That was the best way for him to get a pulse of his company and also to experience what a potential client would have to endure..."

"Many companies now use voice mail. Phone calls are mechanically answered thus, “ABC Corporation…Your call is important to us…Press one for sales, two for repairs, ….” To me, voice mail is irritating and offensive. I do not use it and I stay away from businesses using such devices. If they think that my call is important, then they should put their money where their mouth is – have a real live person to take my calls."
Link

No comments: