How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

MDBG's pennywise policy?

Yesterday morning, I drove to the new building of our MDBG to get copy Assessment bills so that I could pay them. These bills used to be sent, sometimes even duplicated, but this year I was not the only one who did not receive them.

I was directed to the 'Penilaian' (Valuation) office at the 'hujung' (end). The design of the office building is such that to get to this office from the lobby, one has to walk left and turn sharp right to get to it. This reminds me of the usual 'mistake' of other places where even a designated walkway is not what the public would like, and you can see people walking across grass or flowerbed. Anyway, there were 5 people waiting and when I counted minutes later, there were 10 of us. It was not meant to accommodate crowd and there was no order in 'first come, first served' because of the unexpectedness. One of the two ladies felt the pressure and commented to the other that the staff at the other end conveniently directed them there. But I could see that this was the only place with printers ready to print bills, unless the enquiry counter has similar facility.

The problem of not receiving bills seems unlikely to be due to poor delivery by Post Office. I got the impression that Majlis tried to save postage (since the rate increased) or even preferred to collect additional revenue by way of penalties!

At the payment counter, my queue number put me 20 behind the current number. Initially, there was only 1 out of 4 counters manned. Slowly, the manned counters increased to 3 or 4. At the Penilaian office, I could read the first two of their Motto: Mudah (Convenient), Cepat (Fast) and another which I could not read. But there was no sense of urgency and I did not wish to press one of the buttons (from 1 to 5) to give my rating at the payment counter. It took me almost one hour to pay my assessment bills (because no bills received) which normally takes a few minutes depending on crowd. Bearing in mind it was 2 weeks before dateline, I can imagine the crowd getting bigger nearer the date. As far as I am concerned, Majlis failed to live up to the first two of their motto.



Link

No comments: