How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Prangin Mall revisited

A maze at both sides of walkway (level 2) connecting Komtar and Prangin Mall. I am sure I was not the only one who found this not well sign-posted. I remember having the same problem before a few years back.

From Komtar one has to go through Pacific departmental store and ask for direction and I bet the staff there are used to being asked for this. At Prangin side, I am sure there were signs confusing the levels like one indicating a certain shop at level 5 while at level 2 for instance. If not mistaken, there is actually difference in naming levels between Komtar and Prangin. Anyway, from here, one has to go through a shoe shop and it would have been most helpful if the sign outside it has Komtar with a direction arrow to reassure visitors they are on the right track. This is the sign I am referring to:



At the games centre level, advertisements or decorations in the form of tinted films gave the impression there is no verandah as though it was part of the shops and this does not help first timers finding their way.

The elevators could not have been worse in terms of convenience. I can understand this is part of mall management's plan to ensure all shops get enough human traffic but for someone looking for a way up or down, he is likely to find one going up only when he wants to go down, or vice versa.

At Prangin, I was attracted by what seemed to be live music when it turned out to be someone playing electronic drums in a game centre. I actually told my relatives that I am going in to find out more. I found one occupied and another not. I saw the notice '3 ' which costs only Rm1.50. But even the assistant could not help me much in terms of selection of songs. So it was, playing to accompany a Chinese song that came on. It took me a while to get a hang of the system and I just played along. The points seemed to go up and down a bit, then up again and down a bit, but generally I was gathering more points as I played. At the end, I scored over 1,200 and the chart showed over 600 as great! Not sure if I got it right. To me, any chance to play is a chance to be more adaptable to unfamiliar situations. Later, at Queensbay Mall, I went into their games centre but found they have only a Chinese drum, not the Roland's. But it means, games centre is not going to be a place to be avoided like before!

I have read about the hawkers centre being revamped but it turned out to be only so so. Even the pictures and notices look scrappy. Here, I could not help being affected by feng shui. The tables we went near were numbered 53, 54, 64 and 59! 5354 in Cantonese means 'neither alive nor dead' while 64 sounds like 'roll to death' and 59 means 'not enough'! We chose 38 instead! 38 means 'alive and prosperous! Don't take this seriously. I was with my close relatives from KL. But the television support next to it gave me the creeps. Never trust those by sitting below it.

Finally, Komtar from Penang Road side has transformed into something worthy of its stature, with modern shops and air-conditioned at the entrance. But from the carpark it has seen better days.

No comments: