How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, November 04, 2011

How not to put pressure on oneself when in KL

I have learnt from experience that the best way is not to make appointments!

People who live outside KL or PJ should bear in mind that moving around in the Klang Valley is troublesome. My BG friends used to complain that I did not visit them or arranged to meet them when we were in KL or PJ. The traffic jams are offputting and could spoil the best of plans. I have not been looking up friends or relatives unless necessary.

Friends or relations complained about having to meet many people whenever they are in KL. The cause can be traced to them having inform the others of their impending visit and already made arrangements. I find it best to arrive first and then decide who to contact. Similarly, I would rather not book a hotel in an unfamiliar place because I find it easier to arrive and decide which saves the trouble of looking for the place booked!

Today, I went on a day trip to KL to collect my Asus notebook which had its motherboard and fan replaced, just 2 weeks from purchase! I planned to take the notebook to a friend in Sentul but by the time I reached PJ to collect the car, it was almost 4 pm! If I were to make a trip to Sentul, I might have only 15 minutes before he goes to pick his wife from work. So, I didn't visit him and he did not even know about my trip (unless and until he reads about it here)!

Traffic was exceptionally heavy even before Duta toll, and it was heavy all the way to Gopeng exit because of the long weekend. Again, because I did not inform my wife, there was no pressure over my delay. She told me that she would be going to her sister's at around 5.30 pm. I reached home at 6.45pm. Just before Gua Tempurung, traffic slowed on our northbound side (KPC effect) because on the southbound side, there were two cranes blocking the expressway while trying to lift a tanker into position after an accident.

My ETS train journey from BG started at 11.25am, ticket bought yesterday because even then, tickets for 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 6.25pm already sold out! What a difference a day made. I thought the train would arrive earlier than scheduled when we reached Rawang before 1 pm. But the slow journey after Rawang caused it to be late by 15 minutes. My lunch in KL Sentral took only 20 minutes. Then I had to walk to take the monorail at Jalan Tun Sambanthan. By the time I reached Wisma SPS, it was 2.20 pm. The guy who served me said the notebook had been checked. I said I need to check it too, but I just switched on and off soon after. I knew it would take time to check whether it had the same problem as before. I took his word for it.

By the time the monorail train reached the terminal at Jalan Tun Sambanthan, the clock showed 3.11pm. I walked to KL Sentral to take the LRT to Asia Jaya, and from there I walked back to our house. I had to go in to take the car keys, had a drink and left. It was almost 4 pm.
For a retiree, 'what I have is time' means there is no time cost. The train fare was Rm26 (senior citizen), monorail fair to and from Imbi was Rm3.20 (1.60x2), LRT train fare Rm2.00 to Asia Jaya. Petrol cost is estimated at Rm30 and toll Rm23.50 (Jln Duta to Gopeng).

When I took the notebook for service, I got a lift from my son from BG to PJ. LRT fare was Rm4.00 (2.00x2) and monorail return fares Rm3.20. I took the normal train back and the fare for senior was Rm17.

Though under warranty and the repair cost was nil, the nearest Asus service centre is in KL which made the trips necessary. Treating the trips as educational makes it worthwhile instead of troublesome.

On my previous trip, the ticketing girl at Asia Jaya counter greeted me with a big smile as I walked towards her. I told her 'KL Sentral' and gave her a Rm5 note. She gave me 40 sen in coins and two Rm1 notes, the second note as an afterthought. I remembered the fare was Rm2 and thought it had increased. On my return trip, at KL Sentral, I was charged Rm1.60 to Taman Jaya (1 stop before Asia Jaya) and I asked the girl how much was the fare to Asia Jaya and she replied Rm2! So beware of service with a big smile!
Link

No comments: