How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Call me Petty if you like...

but in my humble opinion, the best way to judge a character is to look out for the little gestures which escape most people's attention. It is easy for anyone who wishes to please another to think in terms of gifts or anything which would interest the other, and preferably when others are looking. But sincerity in action is likely to be found when no one is looking. Just like the saying, 'A true friend is someone who says nice things behind your back', sincerity in action takes the form of looking after another's little needs without being asked.

Do not underestimate the effects of small items in a big bill. Once, a successful accountant actually queried the waiter about some small additions to a bill. It turned out those were charges for chili and other sauces! That costed the restaurant his future custom. More recently, a retiree said he would not patronize his so-called friend's restaurant because his wife refused to sell him Rm1 worth of rice to go with what he had bought elsewhere! Other more common instances are unsmiling or even rude workers, and attitude of boss and staff which give the impression we should be grateful to them instead!

In fact, I have always noticed the magnanimity of successful business people who tend to waive little charges, or at least round down to the nearest Ringgit, which is much appreciated by customers for what little they are actually worth. Then there are those who shy away from restaurants which charge +10%+ 5% for service and sales tax, and often these are places where tips are expected too! Don't underestimate those small percentages, they could have discouraged some would be customers given the choice.

I had a bad experience when I had my car overhauled many years ago. I was actually reminded that they would replace all hoses as routine. Yet, soon after, when in KL, my friend in my car noticed a strong petrol smell. On my way back to BG, just after the Kepong roundabout near Taman Wahyu, I noticed the fuel guage dropping visibly! I stopped the car and asked my brother for help in buying me a petrol hose (costed less than Rm5) to replace a leaking one. My impression was that the workshop people were interested in more costly hoses and neglected the cheap one. Further, the morning after I took back the car from overhaul, the engine was running worse than before! As it turned out, it was due to the cold start valve which the person in charge got the nerve to replace with a second hand one which he happened to have, and which I was sure it was mine in the first place! My earlier bill for overhaul was more than Rm4,000, so the once reputed workshop's integrity nosedived as far as I was concerned.

More recently, my neighbour who lives in a so-called Villa and has a so-called Wisma, encroached on public land in front of our house for vegetable plot. Whatever pride he has for what he owns, in my book, he is shameless in this small action.

Politically, when I read about KJ's accumulated traffic fines exceeding Rm5,000, I had a bad impression of him when he was the famous Son-in-law. Didn't that smack of arrogance and the 'above the law' attitude typical of those in power?
Link

No comments: