How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Friends on Facebook

Mary Schneider posted this image on Facebook. It so happens I was about to write on how I feel about so-called friends on Facebook.

In the context of the above funeral scene, it shows the number of friends one had on FB is no indication of the actual turnout at one's funeral, which is understandable.

In case some people did not realize, close friends are likely to be in touch, by phone if not in person. FB is great where friends or relations are separated by distance. It is also good for looking up long lost friends. But where the names are common, it can be frustrating going through a long list, with some faceless ones, when trying to look for a long lost friend or relative. Most require that you are already their friend before you could check for more details to confirm if you have got the right person. I had my fair share of friends who promised to 'accept' but for some reasons, did not! There are also people who are afraid of others knowing about their being in touch with old flames. In other words, we should not be too bothered by description nor whether one is already someone's friend on FB. Really close friends are likely not to be friends on FB!

I have recently added an ex-classmate in college. Somehow, for the first time, I was asked to tick whether she is 'close' friend. I did and she becomes my first and till now, my only close friend! The reason was because I did run through my list of friends on FB and most of them are relatives who cannot be considered friends because we are related. Then there are politicians who I used to be associated with or I admire from a distance. There is another ex-classmate in Kelantan who I had not met since I last visited him in University of Singapore 40 years ago! So how close is close? I knew him at the same time as my so-called 'close friend' on FB, when in college, but never in touch until I found him in FB. Besides, there are new friends I have yet to meet in person! In the case of those I don't really know, sometimes, it is difficult not to accept someone's good intention to be friend.

I am sure there are those who check on someone's friends to find out more about certain persons. Well, for those who are worried about being spied on, then they should not be on FB!

What Antares posted this morning of Feb 16:

Update: Lydia Teh's Let's be friends in The Sun on March 6:

No comments: