How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Sunday, September 09, 2012

I had a tyre puncture... yet I felt relief

This morning, I meant to visit the Sunday Market at Jalan Horley, Ipoh, and then do some shopping at Tesco Station 18. Just travelled about 100 metres, I realized there was an unusual sound and then it dawned on me, what I had half expected, a tyre puncture!

Two weeks ago, on our way to KL, I filled the tank at a Mobil station just before Gopeng, and glanced at the tyres, and discovered one particularly deflated. I inflated all to the same recommended pressure and continue our journey. Looking back, we were very lucky indeed that the tyre did not cause any problem, especially on our return journey late at night. I dread to think of the hassle if it happened. I am surprised it lasted almost two weeks, and I had actually checked the tyre visually two days ago.

But this morning, I did not, and had to walk some 200 metres to the nearest tyre shop. I was lucky they were open on a Sunday and waited just a few minutes for the boss to return from nearby. He took me and a worker, in his old Datsun pickup, to where my Navara was parked. It only took a few minutes for his worker to take out the deflated tyre and he the spare tyre from under the carriage. Mind you, special tools provided by the manufacturers were required to release the catch. Then I drove the vehicle to his shop. A quick check showed a 2-inch nail embedded in the middle of the tyre thread. I was lucky the tyre was not damaged during the 100-metre ride from the house, so it could be used after patching. Cost for all the trouble? Only Rm15! And it was on a Sunday morning! I make a mental note of his helpfulness and will remember to patronize his shop when the tyres need a change.

I am glad it happened today because I am due to fetch my wife from KLIA in 10 days' time. I hope what was due to happen, happened already and there should be no hitch then.

Lessons learned:
1. If a tyre was unusually deflated, it should be checked as soon as possible. It is not worth the risk.
2. I can no longer change a tyre on my own if it is that of a 4WD vehicle, even if I know how.
Link

No comments: