How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year?

Home alone in PJ on new year eve, and did not bother to look outside at the stroke of midnight when sounds of fireworks were booming continuously for a few minutes. Getting old seems the only rational reason for being anti-social. Well, all my children had their own plans, and my pleasure was being the driver with my two daughters for company on our way to PJ on Sunday night.

Before the countdown, watched a bit of Ambank's Ambang celebration in Putrajaya which was telecast live by NTV7. As usual, Group Chairman, Tan Sri Azman took to the stage (was his 8th annual event), and sang a song relating to Sabah (he climbed Mount Kinabalu two years ago) and Wonderful World, backed by his wife's The Singing Shop personnel. He actually sounded off-key, certainly not representative of the shop's talents, but he is the big boss, so who is to say? His daughter, Mizz Nina, showed her singing and dancing talents. I missed the early songs by M Nasir, Ramli Sarip and caught part of Jamal Abdila's.

Towards the end of 2012, there were two robberies in Section 14, PJ, near the Asia Jaya LRT station. A lady was confronted by 4 thugs armed with parangs, and she actually knelt down while handing over her handbag. The thugs used a false number plate on a Sentra bearing registration letters WYL, which apparently Wilayah KL JPJ had yet to issue. The second one was bizarre. An Altis had its windscreen or window smashed, and had its road tax disc and number plates removed! I can only presume the culprit wanted to use those on another car, but with today's technology, it was a no-brainer because the police could easily keep a lookout for this particular registration all over the country!

The security situation looks bleak and is unlikely to significantly improve. We seem to take robberies and/or assault like Russian roulette - some of us are going to get it, we can only hope we are not the victims. We are resigned to this hopeless situation. Those who were robbed at home, had tales of being assaulted for not having enough of cash or jewelleries for the robbers' effort. Attempts at hiding in unlikely places seemed futile, if not, threats would likely to yield the results.

I don't know about others, but the new year is not too happy to start off with. 2013 is also election year for GE 13. Some of us look forward to a change in federal government, but we know it is not going to be easy, if and when Pakatan wins. We expect sore-losers to create trouble in one way or other. While we await this possible watershed GE, let's hope for a truly happy new year, with good governance to start with.

Update:


First new year morning, at 10.30 am, I set off from house in PJ to take the LRT at Asia Jaya station to get to KL Sentral for my journey back by ETS. It was only weeks ago when I last used the LRT, but I had my Touch n Go card then. This time, I had to use cash to buy the ticket, but the woman told me to use the machine instead. There was no one ahead of me, nor behind me.

To save cost, Rapid is now using token plastic coins (can be reused) instead of cards. The last time I used it must have been at least 1 or 2 years ago. So consider me as someone new to the system... with no idea how to use the machine. I could choose between Bahasa Malaysia or English. But I just could not figure out how. Meanwhile, a train came and I missed it just because that woman refused to sell me the ticket. I gave up after a few attempts and she reluctantly came out to assist me. My main problem was the word 'Back' or 'Kembali' in Bahasa Malaysia which made me think it was asking me whether I wanted a Return ticket!  Was it company policy to insist customers use the machines or was she another of those lazy ones who would shun work whenever possible? Again my thoughts went to those who are unable to read, let alone use machines. Even with the token coin, I did not know how to use it at the turnstile!

What a start to 2013!

I have just asked my wife how she bought her LRT token recently (whether she used the machine), and she said at the counter, and by showing her IC, being a senior citizen, she got 50% discount! I should have done that!


Link

No comments: