How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, February 15, 2013

Dr Kua Kia Soong's own patriotic story


"When I was a young rebel in the seventies, I received the news that my brother-in-law and eldest sister were emigrating to Australia with pious indignation. I felt that despite the injustices, Malaysians should stay and fight for our rights while helping to build the country.

It was easy for me to say as a property less and angry young man. But could I honestly feel how my brother-in-law felt as a professor of medicine in University of Malaya, watching the compromises to academic excellence in the name of bumiputeraism and suffering the indignity of being systematically bypassed in his career advancement?

His warning of the possible de-recognition of UM's MBBS degree by the British Medical Council was not heeded and this became a reality in the Eighties. The rest is history…"

"Until today, some people I meet still ask if I’ll be emigrating to the UK since my kids are studying in the UK and I have a British wife. My answer is always: "If I had wanted to emigrate, I would have done so in the seventies!"

When I finally finished my PhD, I returned to "build my homeland" in the early eighties. I could have stayed and enjoyed a good bourgeois existence in Britain enjoying the English countryside, good ale and the arts but my social conscience would have got the better of me ere too long…
Back in Malaysia at the end of 1982, apart from working I wrote profusely in response to many issues confronting our society during that time. It was a period when the press was relatively freer and while it was "owned by the MCA", it was "edited by the MIC for the DAP", as we used to say.

During Operation Lalang in October 1987.

It turned out to be a false spring. The eighties were the heyday of activism in the country which culminated in the "Operation Lalang"crackdown. The BN government showed its appreciation of my nation building efforts by arresting and detaining me without trial."


ISA 'rehabilitation'

Detention without trial under the ISA is a good test of one's patriotism. During the first sixty days of solitary confinement when the special branch was trying to 'rehabilitate' me, I remember they had a three-pronged approach to my rehabilitation programme (sic),viz.:

(i)  Why don't you emigrate since you have a British wife rather than"cause trouble" here?

(ii)  Why don’t you join the Barisan Nasional instead of always siding with the opposition?

(iii)  Why can't you be like Khoo Khay Kim instead of speaking for those Chinese educationists?

To the first question, I told them I was a Malaysian who had come home to serve the country.

To the second, I said it was against my principles to join racist political parties.

To the third, I said, "You've already got one Khoo Khay Kim, why do you want another?"

Rest of his article:
http://steadyaku-steadyaku-husseinhamid.blogspot.com/2013/02/kua-kia-soong.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Steadyaku47+%28steadyaku47%29


Link

No comments: