How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, August 16, 2013

Do you expect Umno to change with ministers like Nazri?

Malaysiakini:
Nazri: Minister's prerogative can't be questioned
A minister has the prerogative to draw up his own employee roll and it cannot be questioned, Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Abdul Aziz said.
More:
http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/238353

Malaysia Chronicle:
SO WHAT? My son will remain as my special officer - Nazri
'Nazri said he is not bothered by the speculation over the listing of his son's name on the ministry's website.
"You must know, I'm a trained lawyer and I know what I am doing.
"He (Nedim) shall remain a special officer to me.
"I don't care what people think. I don't care what bloggers, netizens, journalists write about me.
"Today I am still a minister appointed by a bigger majority in my constituency, so what do they have to say?" said Nazri in a press conference after launching the Red Carpet, Malaysia's first wax museum here today.
He added there is no need to appease anyone but himself.
" I don't please anybody but myself. If making him a special officer makes me happy then that's it.
"He( Nedim) is happy working for his father," he said.'

'... Nazri clarified that Nedim is not a gazetted officer, thus his salary is not paid by the government.
Nazri said he appointed his son to help him reach out to the young voters in his constituency in Padang Rengas.
"I have 6,000 young, first time voters in my constituency so I asked Nedim to help organise programmes and activities for them.
"These voters are apolitical, so I purely asked Nedim to organise programmes for them because he is young as well. The funds for these programmes and activities comes out of my own pocket," Nazri told theSun on Wednesday.
Nazri stressed that Nedim is not involved in any matter related to the Tourism Ministry. "I have told him not to get involved in politics, his duty is just to engage with the young voters."

Full article: http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=145842:so-what?-my-son-will-remain-as-my-special-officer-nazri&Itemid=2#ixzz2c5jwt49Q 

I can't see Nazri's logic in this. If Nedim's role is to help his father in constituency work, why get him involved in his Tourism Ministry? His total disregard for negative public opinions seems to demonstrate his usual arrogance which is typical of many Umno leaders. The only way Umno will change is when they are in the opposition.

Let's have a look at Nazri's election result in GE13:

P61 Padang Rengas (28,518);
Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz (BN-Umno) 13,005;
Dr Meor Ahmad Isharra Ishak (PKR) 10,775;
Majority: 2,230 Spoilt: 410 Turnout: 24,230
Malays: 76.2% Chinese: 16.6% Indians: 7.1% Others: 0.1%

He brags about his increased majority but according to my list of smallest constituencies, his ranked no.27. So what's the big deal about his own popularity?

Link

No comments: