How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Advanced technology: old dog learning new tricks

Generally, seniors dislike new technology because they have to learn how to use the new tools like smartphone, notebook with latest Window and even smart television with features like internet connectivity and so on. I am no exception, and I learn only when I need to, especially with a new notebook recently. The problems I faced would not have been so to those who are IT savvy. In my case, even the simplest of things required seeking help from others. This has to do with old age as well as having been in a comfort zone for a few years using the same equipment without any problem.

As my daughter described it, I rant in Facebook. Some of my postings:

'As more and more transactions go paperless, a computer becomes a necessity. My Asus is found to need a new adaptor or charger (Rm89); suspected motherboard problem for its sudden cutoff (Rm380 to repair); while a new basic notebook with Windows 10 and 1 year warranty costs only Rm1200, it is a no brainer as to which is better. While the rich might think my present dilemma is 'sup sup sui' in terms money it would be presumptuous to assume everyone has the choice, esp. to those without the extra cash.'

'After repeated reminders to upgrade FB, immediate effect was slower response because of more displays... and Malaysia Chronicle cannot be viewed now. Also always running out of memory space. Sigh.'

'Just my bad luck, having bought a basic notebook only to find YES in process of maintenance. Cannot even find Network security key after several attempts. Called and was promised to call back. Waited since 2 pm. YES must be the most user-unfriendly internet service provider.'

'Problems with advanced technology. New notebook means a journey into the unknown: run around just to reconnect with internet service provider; old printer almost could not work with new computer; online share trading requires IE but notebook shows M Edge instead. But it was a pleasant surprise to meet a pretty young lady, at Maybank, Ipoh, also from BG. A small world indeed, turns out, she is younger sister of my younger daughter's classmate! She said had I knew, I did not have to come all the way to Ipoh to sort it out. But how would I know before that? In fact, it was by chance that I mentioned I had to come all the way from BG that the connection was known.'

'My mobile phone has limited RAM and phone memory space. As a result, a few apps, like Skype, Whatsapp, and Yahoo Mail, would not work after some time. I just discovered that by uninstalling Facebook updates, I am able to go into Malaysia Chronicle! So for that advantage, I rather not upgrade to latest FB. Seems like advanced technology means better government control.'

'No end to problems with advanced tech. Open account with MS but forgotten which password used. Sometimes, same email account but different passwords used for different purposes. This morning opened my notebook and greeted with Microsoft and my email address asking for password instead of my earlier automatic opening. After a few unsuccessful attempts with different passwords, only solution seems to be a site address shown where I can reset my password. But how to when I can't even open my computer? Sigh.'

'The obstacles I faced is unbelievable for something which should be straightforward. I used my mobile phone to try and reset my password and when code sent to my email address, by the time I checked mail using the phone and getting back into Microsoft page, I was asked again to login! A really chicken and egg situation. So I used iPad to check mail instead. But recently, my wife's iPad had been giving problems too, with a few errors of Javascript shown on the debug console. So it was trial and error to get my email. Fortunately, by using earlier code, I was able to reset my password. Sigh.'

Having been through all the hassle, why not take it easy and make fun of advanced technology?


Link

No comments: