How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Friend's funeral was a grim reminder of our mortality and eventuality

In 2014, my mother-in-law passed away and within less than a year, in 2015, my brother-in-law too. My children were badly affected because when small, they lived with my in-laws. They were closer to them than my own family.

 When I was diagnosed with cancer in 2016, they felt that being away from home, they could not spend more time with me. My youngest, daughter, felt the loss of her grandmother and uncle most because she did not attend their funerals. It must have been one of her considerations which made her decide to work in Malaysia instead of Dubai. My elder daughter who had been studying and working overseas for 13 years, even booked to come back for holidays in September and December. Knowing how close I was with a classmate, KC Cheah, they were saddened when they knew about his demise. All 3 of them worried over how I felt about it. It was a shock to me and I couldn't help but reminisce about our times together, and the friends who were involved then.

Since his death, I have posted the following in Facebook:

'Still trying to get over the demise of my dear friend, KC Cheah early yesterday morning. He was my school classmate and we went to Leeds together, stayed in same room in MIH. He accompanied me on my first visit to meet someone (introduced in a letter by another classmate, Pearl), who became my wife. When I was working in KL, I used to visit him every week and chatted until midnight. 30 years ago he opted to work from home as IT consultant initially and then as stock market player. He was a Tai Chi and Gigong instructor but sadly diagnosed as suffering from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable degenerative disease. In June, he wanted to accompany another classmate from Australia to visit me after my operation. I actually told him not to, and visited him instead. Weeks ago, I bought his Yamaha keyboard and had lunch with him. Days ago, I tried to sell his remaining musical instruments to David Chin who mentioned whether he should have jamming in his Kedai Makanan Basikal Stopover in KKB. So it was a shock to me when I got the news.'

'At my late friend's funeral wake, I had to betray him for not covering up his white lie. I was asked by his widow about the drum set which she thought was mine. In fact, just recently he told me to admit it was mine if asked by his wife. It was a case of telling his wife what she wanted to hear which was the reason for the lie. Friends advised her to forgive him for that. I hope he would for me. Rest in peace KC.'

'Met an old friend who I haven't seen since we were in same hostel in Leeds. I could recognise him but he couldn't. Leong Hee, Doeu Swan, KC and I were on the same Czechoslovakian Airline flight to Heathrow in 1973. Then we hired a car to Leeds. It was the first time for KC and I, but LH and DS were there a year before. My father and I actually visited Koon Swan and asked if his brother could travel with me since it was my first time to UK and DS actually changed his flight to accommodate me! Anyway our discussion with LH touched on his present residence in Meru Valley Golf Resort in Ipoh and that See Foon Koppen is a good friend of his wife. When I showed him my pic of her in Asia Magazine (1967), he asked for a copy which he sent to his wife. He texted back to say she was thrilled. He commented that I have very good memory. I replied that I remember only unimportant stuff... like the names of his brother and 4 other cousins who were with us in Leeds. Come to think of it, YB Dr Tan Seng Giaw was there in Leeds too. So was HK singer Cheong Kok Wing. There were a number of his HK textile coursemates staying in MIH.'

'When I asked Leong Hee about his cousin, Swee Joo, I was told he died 2 years ago, a week after a brain operation. Before he migrated to Canada 30 years ago, he took over his father's motor repairs workshop in Sentul, after graduating from UK. They were supposed to be good at repairing Volvo cars. He bought over my RX7 (from a newspaper advert) just to learn how to repair rotary engine. One of their mechanics was introduced by my brother to a niece of Ong Ka Ting and they got married. I can still remember on my way from BG on NSE, a Mercedes sped past my car. Sure enough, at the wedding dinner, it was Ong Ka Chuan, who was then a Perak Executive Councillor. I also learnt that his sister's daughter's surname Ong (same as mine) is different from the politicians' in Chinese.'

No comments: